Allergies are hypersensitivity reactions to normally harmless substances. In allergic rhinitis, the immune system releases histamines and other chemicals to fight the “allergen”. As a result, swelling (inflammation) and congestion of the nasal passages and increased mucus production occurs. Allergies can cause a variety of uncomfortable symptoms, but commonly children experience stuffy or runny nose, sneezing, itchy skin and eyes. Allergies can be seasonal or chronic, depending on the allergen. As children age, they can “outgrow” their allergies as their immune system matures.
What are the Symptoms of Allergies in Children?
- Itchy skin, hives, swelling
- Burning, watery, red, eyes
- Stuffy, runny nose, sneezing
- Wheezing / asthma
- Ear infections
What Are Common Allergens for Children?
- Animal dander
- Dust mites
- Food – eggs, milk, soy, corn, wheat/gluten, tree nuts, peanuts, shellfish, fish, citrus fruits
- Wood smoke
- Chemical fumes, aerosols, perfumes, scented products
Five Tips for Reducing Allergies in Children:
- Supplement. Nutrients such as bioflavonoids, calcium, magnesium, carotenoids, essential fatty acids, selenium, B vitamins, and vitamin C work to help with inflammation, reduce allergic symptoms, soothe irritated mucus membranes, and support immune function.
- Wash your hands/nose. Wash pollen from hands and face after outdoor activities, and avoid touching the eyes or nose while outside. Bathing before bed reduces exposure to pollens on hair and skin, and washing bedding regularly is essential. A saline sinus flush with a neti pot or squeeze bottle removes accumulated pollens and congestion in the nasal passages.
- Don’t forget about inside. Keep indoor pollen at bay by closing windows and using central or portable HEPA filters during allergy season. Consider removing outdoor clothes and shoes when returning home after activities, leaving them outside your living space. Hang laundry to dry indoors instead of under pollen-filled trees, but be aware of excess interior dampness if mold sensitivity is also an issue. To minimize the pollen pets bring home, plan regular baths for your furry friends.
- Timing is everything. Timing outdoor activities to coincide with decreased pollen levels may save you hours of itching. Pollen counts are reported by local weather services, but are generally highest between 5 am and 10 am. Some seasons may be better for you than others. For example, if your allergies are limited to fall weeds, spring and early summer would be better times to plan that wilderness camping trip.
- Clean up your child’s diet. Consider doing an elimination or rotation diet of possible troublesome foods for a few weeks to see if you notice improvement in your child’s allergy symptoms. Keeping a diet diary can also prove helpful in monitoring symptoms and possible food triggers. Eating colorful fruits and vegetables provide protective flavonoids. Avoiding unhealthy fats and oils, sugar, and refined carbohydrates is recommended to reduce stress on the body. In addition, ensure that your child is drinking plenty of water help to help thin mucus secretions.
Natural Remedies for Children’s Allergies:
This multiple provides an important foundation of key vitamins and minerals in a great tasting chewable tablet. And, it contains no artificial flavorings or colorings.
Pathway ALLERGY SUPPORT PLUS is a comprehensive formula that combines vitamin C, nettle leaf extract, bromelain, turmeric, plus other synergistic nutrients. This formula provides powerful upper respiratory support and is excellent for anyone suffering from allergies during hay fever season.
This high potency, multiple species, children's specific probiotic provides the most beneficial bacteria in the amounts that help to establish an excellent digestive environment. Each capsule is microencapsulated to protect the good bacteria against the destruction normally caused by the harsh acidic environment of the stomach. Beyond supporting digestive health, probiotics support a healthy immune response.
Pathway OMEGA 3,6,9 COMPLETE EFA blend contains molecularly distilled fish oil with high concentrations of important omega-3 EPA & DHA. Omega 3,6,9 also contains cold pressed and hexane-free flax and borage seed oils, which supply omega-6 and omega-9 EFAs. Essential fatty acids play an important role in immune and inflammatory health.
Holistic Treatment for Children’s Allergies
Schedule a consultation with one of Village Green’s naturopathic doctors or certified nutritionists for a personal assessment of your child’s unique situation. During your appointment (either by phone or in-person), our professionals will:
- Review your child’s allergy symptoms and health history
- Examine your diet and lifestyle
- Recommend specialized testing
- Assess possible drug-nutrient interactions or depletions
- Answer any questions you may have
- Evaluate treatment options
- Create a customized holistic treatment plan for allergies that includes natural solutions, diet and lifestyle recommendations, and custom compounding.
Contact a Village Green nutritionist by calling 800-869-9159.
Learn more about our nutrition counseling and wellness services.