What is Acid Reflux?
Acid reflux or heartburn occurs when stomach acid rises up into the esophagus. This results from the lower esophageal sphincter not closing properly. Normally, the sphincter closes as soon food passes through it and should not allow back flow of food or stomach acid. However, when the sphincter either doesn’t close all of the way or it opens too often, stomach acid moves into the esophagus causing uncomfortable symptoms.
What are the Symptoms of Acid Reflux?
- Chest pain/burning sensation
- Dental erosion
- Difficulty swallowing
- Sore throat
- Regurgitation of food
What are Common Causes of Acid Reflux?
- Eating large portion sizes
- Lying down right after a meal
- Snacking too close to bedtime
- Being overweight
- Bending forward
- Hiatal hernia
- Peptic ulcers and insufficient digestive enzymes
- Trigger foods – commonly alcohol, black pepper, chili and chili powder, citrus fruit, pineapple, coffee, garlic, spicy food, tea, carbonated beverages, chocolate, fatty foods, tomatoes, vinegar, and foods that you might be sensitive to (commonly dairy, wheat, soy, corn, eggs, and nuts)
- Medications – such as aspirin, ibuprofen, certain muscle relaxers and blood pressure medications
Supplement Recommendations for Acid Reflux in Adults
Pathway SUPREMA DOPHILUS is an advanced combination of eight strains of beneficial bacteria to give you a complete probiotic formula. The bacteria in Suprema-Dophilus are bioenhanced, acid-resistant strains that are formulated to survive stomach acid without the need for an enteric coating. Suprema-Dophilus is also shelf stable, so there is no need for refrigeration. It provides 5 billion viable cells per capsule.
Pathway DIGASE contains the full complement of plant enzymes; providing Protease, Amylase, Lipase, Cellulase, Lactase, and Glucoamylase complemented by Gentian root, Caraway seed, and Ginger root to support digestion. This unique and exclusive product is specially formulated to provide the digestive power necessary to digest the typical meal.
Pathway GI OPTIMAL SUPPORT provides comprehensive support for gastrointestinal health and function. The lining of the gut must have proper permeability and integrity so it can not only absorb nutrients, but also prevent toxins, allergens and microbes from gaining access to the blood stream. Maintaining gut health is the key to promoting overall wellness. Pathway GI OPTIMAL SUPPORT is available in capsule and powder form. Made with non-GMO ingredients.
Good digestive health is vital in obtaining optimum benefit from the food we eat. Proper digestion requires that sufficient enzymes be produced by the body. Pathway DIGEST-EASE promotes healthy digestive enzyme balance for protein, fat and carbohydrate digestion. Digest-Ease also contains fennel and peppermint to sooth an upset stomach, and can provide relief for indigestion.
Natural Acid Reflux Treatment for Infants and Children
- Delay food introductions – delay introducing high allergenic foods such as gluten, soy, dairy, eggs, citrus, and nuts.
- Upright positioning tends to be beneficial.
- Consider supplementing with probiotics - can also help with a variety of other concerns, such as diarrhea, allergies, atopic dermatitis, sinus infections, upper respiratory infections, ear infections, colds, colic, and urinary infections. For infants up to 2 years old, use predominantly Bifidobacterium species (infantis, bifidum, breve, longum, lactis). It is recommended to give 1 billion to infants and 5 billion to children 12-24 months. For children ages 2-5 years old, give a blend of Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus species such as rhamnosus, acidophilus, and reuteri. Give 5-10 billion daily.
Holistic Treatment for Acid Reflux
Acid reflux can cause irritation, inflammation, scarring, and narrowing of the esophagus. It also increases your risk of developing esophageal cancer. Conventional medications are not recommended for long term use. They can reduce your ability to absorb nutrients and can increase your risk of osteoporosis. Therefore, getting to the root of the problem is the most important step. At Village Green Apothecary, we believe in using a holistic approach that includes natural remedies for acid reflux to alleviate symptoms and address the root cause. We also recommend diet changes, lifestyle tips, and specialized testing.
We’re here to help!
Schedule a consultation with one of Village Green’s naturopathic doctors or certified nutritionists for a personal assessment of your unique situation. During your appointment (either by phone or in-person), our professionals will:
- Review your acid reflux symptoms and health history
- Examine your diet and lifestyle
- Recommend specialized testing
- Assess possible drug-nutrient interactions or depletions
- Answer any questions you may have
- Evaluate holistic treatment options
- Create a customized plan that includes natural solutions, diet and lifestyle recommendations, and custom compounding.
Contact a Village Green nutritionist to help you design the best diet plan for your needs by calling 800-869-9159.
Learn more about our nutrition counseling and wellness services.