Symptoms of Hormonal Imbalance in Women
From puberty to menopause, symptoms such as mood swings, bloating, headaches, hot flashes, and insomnia are indicators of hormone imbalance. Stress, poor nutrition, lifestyle changes, toxins, and other factors can exacerbate symptoms. At Village Green Apothecary, we see symptoms as a sign of disharmony within the body that needs to be addressed. Finding and resolving the root cause of your symptoms will almost always lead to feeling better and living a healthier lifestyle.
Symptoms of a hormonal imbalance include:
- Hot flashes & night sweats
- Weight gain
- Vaginal dryness
- Low libido
- Mood swings
- Foggy memory
What are the Common Causes of Hormone Imbalances?
- Having more periods in one’s lifetime (women are starting their periods earlier)
- Stress (excessive need for cortisol depletes progesterone as some of it is converted to cortisol to support stressed/tired adrenal glands)
- Foreign estrogen exposure (synthetic hormones, chemicals and plastics with hormonal properties)
- Use of oral or injected contraceptives/hormone replacement therapy
- Poor diet (usually high in carbohydrates, low fiber)
- Consumption of trans-fats (margarine, hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oils)
- Nutritional deficiencies (especially magnesium, zinc, copper and B complex vitamins)
- Luteal Insufficiency (insufficient ovarian progesterone production, i.e. Corpus Luteum making too little progesterone)
- Anovulatory cycles (cycles where menstruation occurs, but no ovulation, and therefore no ovarian progesterone is produced)
- Obesity (in postmenopausal women, estrogen is made in the fat cells; excess fat cells make excess estrogen)
Hormonal Imbalance – Estrogen Dominance
A major cause of hormone imbalance is estrogen dominance. This occurs when there is too much estrogen or not enough progesterone to balance its effects. Estrogen dominance is caused by exposure to potent, environmental estrogens (xenoestrogens), found in plastics, pesticides, cleaners, detergents, beauty care products, meat and dairy products, stress, anovulation, poor diet, obesity, microbial imbalances, as well as synthetic hormones from birth control pills and hormone replacement therapy.
Foreign estrogens are much more potent than the estrogen made by the ovaries. Artificial estrogens activate receptors to stimulate a hormonal effect or occupy the receptor and block natural estrogen from doing their job, thereby disrupting normal endocrine function. Xenoestrogens can accumulate over time, are absorbed through the skin, are difficult to detoxify, and are stored in fat. While endogenous estrogens are biologically active only during the years of sexual maturity, have a life expectancy measured in days, and fluctuate month to month, xenoestrogen exposure starts with fetal development and can be around for decades.
Synthetic hormones (birth control pill and hormone replacement therapy) can also disrupt hormone balance. There are also many health risks associated with taking man made hormones, such as increased risk for blood clots, gallbladder disease, and cancer.
Improving Diet to Balance Hormones
Village Green provides a full range of solutions to meet everyone’s specific dietary needs. Because you’re biochemically unique, our trained nutritionists will work to develop the right diet plan – just for you.
Foods that promote healthy hormone balance:
- Omega-3 fatty acids (wild salmon, flax, walnuts, etc.)
- Dark leafy greens (bok choy, collards, kale, turnip greens, dandelion greens, spinach, etc)
- Cruciferous vegetables (cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, kale, broccoli, arugula, etc.)
- Colorful fruits and vegetables (berries, citrus, melons, pears, apples, beets, carrots, etc.)
- Whole grains (brown rice, millet, quinoa, whole wheat, corn, etc.)
- Legumes (lentils, soy, black beans, pinto, garbanzo beans, etc.)
- Nuts and seeds (almonds, pine nuts, Brazil nuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, etc.)
- Sea vegetables (wakame, kombu, hijiki, arame, nori, dulse, etc.)
- Healthy fats (eggs, avocados, butter, flaxseed oil, nuts and seeds, nut butters, etc.)
- Organic dairy foods/dairy alternatives (milk made from almonds, rice, hemp, oats, soy, etc.)
- Organic/hormone-free protein (meat, poultry, grass-fed beef, fish, eggs, cheese, etc.)
Supplements That Support Healthy Hormone Balance
Pathway WOMEN'S HORMONE BALANCER is a comprehensive female specific formula. Ingredients such as vitex, polygonum and black cohosh, along with DIM and chrysin protect and support beneficial estrogen aromatase activity. Calcium-D-glucarate promotes the proper elimination of excess estrogens. Rosemary, resveratrol, grape seed extract, and EGCg from green tea are included for maximum antioxidant protection. Vitamins B6, B12, and folates (NatureFolate™ blend) promote proper cell differentiation. And, magnesium and calcium are also included to help support bone and hormone health.
Evening primrose oil provides an excellent source of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA). GLA helps to promote the production of anti-inflammatory chemicals in the body and may be helpful for hormone balance, joint pain and swelling, various skin conditions, and to nourish hair and nails.
The liver plays an important role in cleansing and detoxifying the body. Optimal liver health is also important for hormone balance, digestive health, bowel regularity, and much more. This comprehensive formula combines key herbs to stimulate the liver and support healthy detoxification.
Stress can weaken health by demanding excess work by the endocrine, nervous, and immune systems. Taking nutrients that help the body adapt to stressful challenges can greatly help to restore energy and vitality. This formula contains key adaptogenic herbs along with select B vitamins to support the body’s stress response.
Natural progesterone cream promotes healthy hormone balance. Pathway CRÈME DE FEMME provides natural progesterone in an easy to use pump. The cream may be applied wherever the capillaries are close to the surface – the face, neck, palms of the hands, soles of the feet, wrists, and behind the knee. Pathway CRÈME DE FEMME is paraben free and contains natural ingredients.
Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy
Our Village Green team of compounding pharmacists specializes in providing individualized compounded prescriptions to fit each woman’s exact needs. Call us today at 800-869-9159 x1012 for more information.
Holistic Treatment for Hormone Imbalance
At Village Green Apothecary, our nutritionists and doctors work with patients to create optimal health by using natural remedies, such as vitamins, minerals, herbs, and homeopathic treatments. They also recommend tailored diet plans, exercise routines, lifestyle tips, specialized testing, as well as natural or bio-identical hormone replacement therapy to address the root cause(s) of imbalances.
We’re here to help!
Schedule a consultation with one of Village Green’s naturopathic doctors or certified nutritionists for a personal assessment of your unique situation. During your appointment (either by phone or in-person), our professionals will:
- Review your hormone symptoms and health history
- Examine your diet and lifestyle
- Recommend specialized testing
- Assess possible drug-nutrient interactions or depletions
- Answer any questions you may have
- Evaluate hormone balancing options
- Create a customized plan that includes natural solutions, diet and lifestyle recommendations, and custom compounding.
Contact a Village Green nutritionist by calling 800-869-9159.
Learn more about our nutrition counseling and wellness services.