Identifying the Most Common Reasons for Weight Gain
Debi Silber, The Mojo Coach on
The most common reasons for weight gain, and the struggles many of us face with losing weight and maintaining our weight, are Who, What, When, Where, How and Why. To identify and understand your own reasons for weight gain, answer the following questions. Your honest answers will help you create a personal weight loss plan that actually works – once and for all! Who triggers you to overeat?
- A boss who triggers us to grab foods we think will calm or relax us after a stressful day at the office
- A friend or partner who encourages us to overeat because they want a “food buddy”
- Someone who shows their love for you through the food they’ve prepared (or purchased) and we eat to avoid hurting their feelings
- Too much junk food, takeout, prepared, or fast food
- Foods high in unhealthy fat (vs. healthy fats that help you lose weight) and sugar
- Out of proportion portions – “economy sizing," “super sizing,” or “value sizing”
- Foods that don’t satisfy or fill you adequately
- Too many liquid calories
- The same foods at the same time, such as leftovers when cleaning up after mealtimes
- Late night snacking while watching TV
- When your children are snacking
- During a late afternoon energy dip
- At the kitchen counter while preparing food and snacks for others
- On the living room couch after a long day
- On Saturday night at your favorite restaurant when you see that breadbasket on the table
- Socially – not hungry, simply eating to be a part of the group or experience
- Mindlessly – taking in extra food without thinking and/or while distracted
- Binge eating – poor food choices or eating to improve feelings or mood
- Emotional eating – overeating to calm, numb or relax, which encourages a boost of serotonin, one of the body’s “feel good” chemicals
- What do I really need?
- What was I really looking for?
- What am I really hungry for?
- A fulfilling project
- A satisfying relationship
- An enriching and meaningful job
- More confidence
- A better way to handle stress
Humanized Health - NEW!
Learn about personalized health from top experts! Check out our fascinating new shows every week, available as videos, podcasts and transcripts.:
Paula is a highly qualified and experienced nutrition counselor on the staff at Village Green.
Margo's impressive knowledge base is the result of a unique blend of educational and professional experience.
Dr. Neal Barnard
Dr. Barnard leads programs advocating for preventive medicine, good nutrition, and higher ethical standards in research.
Dr. Joseph Pizzorno
Dr. Joseph Pizzorno, ND is a pioneer of integrative medicine and a leading authority on science-based natural medicine.
Debi is a registered dietitian with a master’s degree in nutrition, a personal trainer, and whole health coach.
Teri is a is a Certified Coach Practitioner with extensive certifications and experience in holistic medicinal practices.
Dr. Rav Ivker
Dr. Rav Ivker is a holistic family physician, health educator, and best-selling author.
Susan writes about the connection between plant-based diets and a reduced risk of chronic diseases.
Dr. Rob Brown
Dr. Brown's blended perspective of healthcare includes a deeply rooted passion for wellness and spiritual exploration.